Do you want to settle in Australia permanently? Are you afraid your visa will not suffice to make you stay longer? Then, the good news is you can achieve higher PTE points for PR certificates.
As countries adopt point-based immigration systems, the role of PTE scores in entry into Australia is only increasing. For this reason, you can prepare for all odds and strive to get the best PTE scores.
In this blog, we will walk you through the steps to obtain a Permanent Residency with Pearson English Test points.
Understanding the Structure of the Pearson Test of English
Pearson Test of English is an online test that evaluates your English speaking, writing, listening and reading skills. The test is designed for non-native English speakers who want to study, work or immigrate to a foreign country.
Overview of Pearson Test of English (PTE) Exam Sections
The Pearson English test consists of 5 exam sections. Each section requires proficiency to achieve an overall score in the PTE exam. Here is an overview of the PTE exam sections.
The English Speaking test involves judging a candidate’s ability to speak English clearly and fluently. Following are a few points to remember:
- Candidates are required to give a brief introduction in a video recording.
- Test-takers read a text aloud from the screen.
- Candidates are asked to repeat a sentence after listening.
- Candidates describe an image on a screen in a short and simple way.
- Candidates listen to a lecture and retell the main points of the lecture.
The English writing test involves analysing the candidate’s writing skills, understanding different general topics, and command of grammar and vocabulary. Here are the following writing tasks in the trial.
- Candidates must provide a 1-2 line summary of the written text.
- Candidates are also asked to write an essay on any given topic.
The Pearson test of English also involves determining the reading abilities of the test taker. The following tasks are usually given to a candidate to score a good Pearson Test of English points for Permanent Residency.
- Candidates read a passage and select the most appropriate answer from multiple choices.
- Candidates re-order a paragraph to arrange them in logical and accurate order.
In the last section, The Pearson test of English conducts a listening skill test. Thai involves understanding the person’s capacity to understand and interpret the correct meaning.
- Candidates listen to an audio to understand the context and choose the correct summary.
- Candidates are asked to find word differences between the transcript and audio to learn their abilities.
Scoring System of PTE
Now that you are clear with the PTE exam structure, let’s understand the scoring system to achieve the best Pearson Test of English points for Permanent Resident applications.
Generally, the Pearson Test of English has a standard global scale of 10-90. A minimum score of 50 indicates that you have competent English, scoring 65 – 78 means you are proficient, and achieving 79 or above means you have superior English to work and live independently in Australia.
Introduction to the PR Points System
In several countries, a point-based immigration system distributes specific points to each immigrant. In Australia, there is also a minimum threshold that an applicant must understand for a Permanent residency visa.
The skilled independent visa is a permanent residency visa for qualified persons whom a family member, state or employer does not fund. This type of visa is a part of the General skilled migration program.
One should be eligible for PTE tests and consider other factors for applying for a skilled independent visa. Each eligibility below will grant a PR point to make you eligible for a 5-year permanent residency.
1. The age of the applicant must be under 45 years.
A younger applicant achieves more PR points and can meet the minimum requirements.
- 18-24 years: 25 points
- 25-32 years: 30 points
- 33-39 years: 25 points
- 40-44 years: 15 points
2. Candidates must be proficient in the PTE exam to acquire maximum points in PR.
Here is a breakdown of the PTE points in PR:
- Superior English: 20 points
- Proficient English: 10 points
- Competent English: 0 points
3. Applicants must have 3-5 years of skilled employment to be eligible for permanent residency.
Let’s break down the points you get to be eligible for PR:
- 0-3 years : 0 points
- 3-5 years: 5 points
- 5-8 years: 10 points
- 8 years or more: 15 points
4. An applicant must also be passed out with reputed educational institutions and have at least a bachelor’s, Master’s, or doctorate.
Let’s break the pointing system to different degrees to be eligible for PR.
- Doctorate from an australian educational institution: 20 points
- Bachelor or Master’s degree from australian recognized university: 15 points
5. Applicants should have at least one degree or diploma from a recognised educational institution.
- Australian study requirement: 5 points
6. Other Requirements:
- Study in regional or low population area: 5 points
- Hold a credential community language: 5 points.
- Partner skills, in some cases: 10 points
Minimum Requirements to get PR overall points for immigration to Australia:
The minimum points required to be eligible to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa is 65 points. It is also essential to consider that meeting minimum requirements does not necessarily mean the invitation to apply. There are other factors, and aiming for higher points will help you remain competitive with other PR applications.
Strategies for Maximising PR Points with PTE
Now that you know the eligibility for obtaining PR, looking for the proper guidance to attain maximum PTE points for PR is essential.
- Achieving a maximum PTE point in PR requires speaking, writing, reading, and listening to the English language fluently. Aim for superior English only.
- Practise PTE-specific tasks to master the test format.
- Take practice tests to focus on weaker areas.
- Manage time constraints and be ready to take tests under specific test conditions.
- Use official resources and take PTE classes from professional tutors.
Ensure that each section is elaborated upon with relevant information, examples, and practical advice to guide your readers effectively.
Remember that a professional PTE class is the backbone for achieving the highest scores in the PTE exam. Your learnings and assistance matter most when obtaining the PR with little approval time.
The permanent residency visa application can vary according to specific state criteria. You must trust the official Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.