In today’s fashion-conscious world, there is a growing demand for modest swimwear. Enter the burkini – a two-piece swimsuit that offers coverage and comfort while still looking stylish. In this guide, let’s discuss everything you need to know about burkini swimwear – from where to buy one to how to style it. Let’s also look at how it is becoming more widely accepted as an alternative to skin-bearing bathing suits. Get ready to learn all about the modest yet fashionable burkini.
A burkini is a type of modest swimwear designed for Muslim women. It covers the whole body except for the face, hands, and feet. Burkinis are usually made from Lycra or nylon and are available in various colours and designs.
History of Burkini
The burkini is modest swimwear designed for Muslim women. It was created in the early 2000s by Australian-Lebanese designer Aheda Zanetti. The word “burkini” is a portmanteau of the words “burqa” and “bikini.”
It was designed to allow Muslim women to participate in water activities while complying with Islamic dress codes. The suit covers the entire body except for the face, hands, and feet. It typically has a hood or headscarf and loose-fitting pants or leggings.
It has become increasingly popular recently as more Muslim women seek modest swimwear options. In 2016, a French town famously banned it, claiming it symbolised Islamic extremism. France’s highest court later overturned the ban.
They offer several benefits for those who want to enjoy modest swimwear options:
- They provide complete body coverage, including the head and hair. This can be valuable for religious or cultural reasons or personal preferences.
- They tend to be more comfortable than other types of modest swimwear options, as they are designed to allow a full range of motion and breathability.
- They are often made from high-quality materials that provide sun protection and durability.
- Many women find that they are more flattering than other types of modest swimwear, as they accentuate the positive features of the body while hiding problem areas.
Buying Considerations for Burkini Swimwear
When shopping for burkini swimwear, remember a few things:
- Consider the coverage you want. Some burkinis offer more range than others, so if you want a more subtle look, choose one that covers your whole body.
- Think about the material. You’ll want something breathable and quick-drying to stay comfortable in the water.
- Consider the colour and pattern of the burkini. You may want something that stands out or blends in with your surroundings.
- Choose a size that fits you well so you can move and swim easily.
How to Care and Store?
When it comes to caring for and storing it, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Always rinse it in cold water after each use, as this will help prevent the fabric from fading.
- When storing it, hang it up or fold it neatly, so it doesn’t become wrinkled.
- Never put it in the dryer, as this can damage the fabric.
These simple tips can help keep your burkini looking its best for years.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of whether or not a burkini is modest swimwear. Based on the individual’s preferences and beliefs, it will vary. Some people may feel that it covers more of their body and provides more modesty than a bikini, while others may think it is too constricting or uncomfortable. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide what type of swimwear they are comfortable wearing.